Sunday, July 12, 2015

Planning Amorgos. Enzo is calling for me.



I was never THIS excited about any trip.
Many reasons for it.

I plan to make this an early birthday present.
If all goes well,
I will go to Greece first week in October.
Well first ten days of October!

It is a nice month to be there.
Not too warm,
and not packed with tourists.
But still warm enough to go swimming.

Plan to land in Athens, stay there one day - head three days to Amorgos - return to Athens and stay five days.

While in Athens, I plan to do some sites around the city as well.
Like this one.


OMG, what would I have given to be with Peter Besenyei that day in his airplane...
I just really like Peter.
He reminds me of fun days we had flying here.
These fun flying days are far behind us I am afraid, thanks to many factors that I will not be writing about here (because this blog also is a fun place).

Péter Besenyei flies through the Corinth Gap.


This is really amazing.



Well,
while in Athens I plan to do many fun things in and around the city.

But Amorgos I plan first.
It is really difficult to plan Greece now.

Hopefully things will solve fast, but judging Balkan's countries - I do not expect anything spectacular to happen.

Hopefully they will not be served the greek way.
Poor bastards.
I like them,
what can I say.
We do not differ much.

Anyhows...
To find a ferry connection was fairly easy.
I should leave Athens at 17:30 Thursday and arrive at Amorgos at 02:00 a.m. Friday.
At Aegiali.
Nine hours of the big blue.



I can sleep, read, enjoy the sunset and the views of the surrounding islands.
Perfect.
If all goes the way I planned...

With greeks you can never know.
Hopefully no ferry strikes *including trains...
Otherwise I will have to stay there.

I plan to do Amorgos hiking tour, three days.



It is a very beautiful island in the Cyclades.
Not that commercial as some others.
I like it because it has only a few settlements, you meet actually the locals, scenery is breathtaking.
And in October - I will mostly have to rely on my two feet.
I found this post recently.
Like I need to be persuaded to go there :).

amorgos sunset

Amorgos1

Amorgos

cafe

hozov

I found these useful maps here.
Walking paths are clearly marked.
And now - planning.





I will walk first day from Aegiali to Tholaria, Langada, Stavros then to Potamnos or back to Langada *depending on a local bus.

Bus schedule you can find at restaurants and local stores.
This is the one I found recently.
Reminds me of one in Sicily :).


Very rare.
The bus.
Looks like I will have to rely on my feet since they start at 10:00 a.m. !

What is so special about this route?
Well, it is the toughest route.
Takes you up 700m in short time.

These are some of the photos I found.




This one I found via Google. Though it is in Swedish, you can understand that one part of this path is quite narrow.
The one that leads you to Stavros.
And if you are not careful, the only way is down.
I need to find a link to this blog, it is very interesting...



Though, the procession goes here on 13th September so I do not plan to make a big fus about this small part.
If they can walk it over, why shouldn't I?
2000 ft down they say :).

But then - what a view.

 

You start from Tholaria.





Then Langada.





And all the way to Stavros. You pass by this beautiful monastery, but I will not write about it now.
Monastery of St. John the Theologian. 


  

And this is the church at Stavros.
From here, if you are very enthusiastic - you can climb up Kirkelo.
I do not plan to.
Highest spot on Amorgos.
Or I go.
Depends on the wind.
Looks like this place is quite windy.





Hopefully I will manage.
But there is plenty of time to plan ahead.

And looks like the paths are clearly marked.

I like this sign particulary.
:)
It is a small tavern, place you rest and eat at Langada I think, before you step into nowhere.



Looks like signs should be everywhere.



Then I head to Chora.




Judging the windmills the wind is not very friendly.





From here I can easily reach the beautiful Panagias Hozoviotissas Monastery and Agia Anna church. 










And I am looking forward to this view from the Profitis Ilias.




Third day I go to Katapola,
do some sights towards Kalofana and then go down to Olympia wreck.
This wreck was featured in one of my favorite movies.
The Big Blue.
I just love Jean Reno.


When you come really close, it looks like this.

But from the distance it looks nice.
It's real name is actually The Inland.
Ironic.




Hopefully I will manage at least half of this.
Now I realize three days is just not enough.
Maybe if I could rent a car...
No, that would be stupid.

Or maybe I just do what is most simple - few short walks, sunbathing and eating.
Well it all depends on what I book there.
Croats usually are not renting one night.
Here, I would have to book three studios in three nights...

 

  

  


 If you like walking and big blue sea - I think Amorgos is a place for you.
It has only a few beaches.





Gramvousa Island close to Kalokaritissa beach

beach

But many walking paths.

  


And endless big blue around it.
   

Le grand bleu.







Yes.
I should go to Amorgos.

Thanks Enzo!

...

No comments: