Sunday, May 3, 2015

Vernazza. My favorite of 5. Or is she...



Beautiful Vernazza.
I think she was definitely my favorite land.
Though Manarola with its hills, vineyards, hillside figurines and that nice path towards Corniglia is the most picturesque of five.
First records recognizing Vernazza as a fortified town date back to the year 1080. It was an active maritime base of the Obertenghi, a family of Italian nobility, and a point of departure for naval forces in defense of pirates.





This place was crowded.
And these trains are loud and usually late.
I bet being half deaf is usual here.






As you can see, the main street looks much as the one in Manarola.



Packed with little restaurants and souvenir shops.
It was late April and quite warm.






This little road takes you to the main square, Piazza Marconi and Church of Santa Margherita d'Antiochia.



  
Nice little taverns with local musitians.


Tiny sandy beach, you can rant a boat, kayak or SUP here in the summer.


Tipical, tiny place by the sea.
In the 1400s, Vernazza focused in its defense against the dreadful and regularly occurring pirate raids, erecting a fortifying wall. 
In the mid-1600s, like many of the Cinque Terre villages, Vernazza suffered a period of decline that negatively affected wine production, and prolonged the construction of the trail system and harbor molo (pier constructed to protect against heavy seas).
Then, in the 1800s, after a long period of stagnation, Vernazza returned to wine production, enlarging and creating new terraced hillsides. 
The result was a revitalization of Vernazza's commerce.
You can see these terraced hillsides above the church here.
This is how wine collecting is done in Cinque Terre.

 



Seems quite difficult, doesn't it?
And this is their wine - Cinque Terre Sciacchetra.
Sweet, white wine.
Experts say it offers aromas of honey and white blossoms, with hints of citrus and it never contains neither Muscat nor Malvasia, like other Italian sweet wines.
The wine must not be marketed until the first day of November after harvest.
As you can see on this photo I found here, it has an intense amber color. 


Sine it was way too early for this wine, I just grabbed a coffee, grande con late of course, and decided to see the church.



Nice, pebbly little square in front of it.





It is an open space church.
Reference to the Church of Santa Margherita d'Antiochia of Vernazza occurs in 1318.  
Unique for its east-facing entryway, it has a nave and two aisles, octagonal bell tower  and is located in the town's main square.













Nice, warm day that was.
People sunbathing on the cliffs.










Enough with sitting, time to move on woman!


Of course I will follow the sign marked with a sward and grumpy bearded man...
Let's see where will it take me.


The only was was up, I guess.
Loved the view and the stairs.
 


   

Doria (Castle) was built in the 15th century as a lookout tower to protect the village from pirates.
The entrance is 1.5 EUR and it offers magnificent view of the Vernazza.








And couple of steps behind the Doria...Heaven.
A secret spot.




Finally! A place where I can rest my feet.



    



After absorbing all my favorite colors and getting some natural sunshade, I headed to get a gelato, Cinque Terre Organic Lemon Juice with Honey, and check out the pier.



















I liked the crowd here.
...
And all this water reminded me I haven't been to that hidden pirate beach.
When you follow Via Roma, on your right side you will see this little arch in the cliffs.
Look.









Very tiny, big waves, large rocks.




I like the sound of crushing waves.
Doesn't look swimming friendly though.
...
Time to leave.







If you are still wondering why I think Vernazza has the magic of all five lands,
this is the reason why.
Enjoy.

















 
































I was enchanted... therefore the "I tasted a lemon" smile...

No comments: