Friday, May 8, 2015

Portoferraio. Marina and the beach.


I finally got a chance to visit Portoferraio, Isola d'Elba.
I did not care I had to travel for two days by bus and ferry to get there.
Well, I was kind of worried at first since I can not sit much at one place,
but we made a nice route plus I met some really nice people on this bus ride and it turned out well.

Firstly, the weather late April this year was just perfect.


Second, come on - look at this ferry!
Like I have ordered it custom made for me.








Ferry ride took one hour.
Just enough time to enjoy scenery, all the water and salty air.
And more than enough time to take at least a thousand photos.
I mean my group was crazy with cameras!
  

   






Actually, when I think of it - this was the first time I have been by the sea (not taking Sweden into account), for more than a year and half!
And I live just couple hours drive from the Adriatic coast.
Just there never is enough time to see all...
















And just like that, we have reached the Portoferraio.















I mean look at this.
These photos truly present all the beauty I saw in this tiny city by the sea.



I was so enchanted by it, and had such a nice day here that I wrote  three posts about Portoferraio.
This one will be focused on the waterfront.
Where all these tiny restaurants are.
And smiling Italians :).


First thing you see getting out of the ferry is the fortress that dominates the city and the marina.







Though I am more into flying, since it is a family treasured and much appreciated sport, I do like yachts and small boats. And anywhere I go by the sea, I usually visit marina and harbor.
It is a family tradition I like to say.
We used to do it, my family, when I was a child - we would go and wonder where do these people come from, what kind of lives are they living, what do they do that they can afford it?
Well, in nowadays all these tings are very much relative.
My good friend got a skipper licence in Greece last year ( 750 EUR it was) and he rents a 30m yacht every year in Greece with 9 of his friends who got the same permit.
They go sailing every year and they have just ordinary jobs.

As I was saying,
this little harbor dominates the promenade.
















If you chose to go left here, you will end up in the old city.
If not... well, let us go and see.










Well, well, well... This looks nice.
Let us take a look inside.





















Very quiet that day it was.
Not many cars.
Yachts sailing in and out.
Just enough wind.
And lots of sun.






If you have enough time, do go to the city.
It has many little streets that lead you up and down to the magnificent views of the city.









If you can not afford to spend a lot of time here, then head to the beach.
There are two right in this city.
One rather small, but nice scenery.
Just bellow Napoleon Bonaparte's villa.








The second one is the big city beach.
With lots of cafes, restaurants, nice shade on the promenade.











 
 
Isola d'Elba.
Portoferraio.
My definition of beauty.





No comments: