Monday, June 1, 2015

Trieste. And that lighthouse that I have missed. Again.


There is this thing about the big blue sea that makes you want to go for a swim and walk.
Especially if you are settled by the loooooooong sandy beach.
That in April is almost completely abandoned.

I spend a night at one of the Lido di Jesolo hotels by the beach.
Nice view of the sea.

Before heading to Trieste and home I went for a walk.



The sea is very shallow here.
Too shallow for me to go for a swim, but shallow enough to go for a walk that day.






It was a sunny day that day in Trieste.
I started my journey from the main pier towards the big piazza, and instead of the old fortress - decided to go to marina.
It was Sunday, 26th of April - The Liberation Day.
Trieste was literally empty - except a few crowds here and there holding speeches or playing music.
I found a nice post about the art of the city here.
I will not repeat it in my post then :).
Today is my lazy day...


















Trieste was loved my many writers.
Like James Joyce whose steps I have followed here in Trieste.

And everywhere you go there are statues as a tribute to soldiers of the WWII.


This is actually Serbian Orthodox Church.


Trieste has a nice pedestrian zone with many shops.
That were closed that day since it was Sunday.
Good.
:)










A look towards the sea and main piazza, Piazza dell'Unità d'Italia.






 














Let us go for a walk.





















Trieste offers narrow passages as well.
One way streets.
Stairs to climb
Up and down the hill.

And it lost that industrial vibe it had.
The industrial site by the beach was closed long time ago.

Though the big piazza says italian, colorful streets say italian - when you move away from the center, it says ordinary town by the sea in Croatia.
And complex apartments on the hills scream Moldova or similar.
Much of Eastern Europe kind of feeling.
Did not change much actually.
Trieste.

But I love it.
Used to go shopping here with my family.
Long time ago when everything was shine and bright in the old country.







 

Decided this time to go towards the city Aquarium and marina.






















Barcolana Regatta.




And my favorite lighthouse.
That I afford to miss, every time.
I only had a glimpse of it this time.



Faro della Vitoria, The Victory Lighthouse.





The Miramare castle near Trieste.
Nice place to go over the weekend.






It is the most famous place of the Triestine coast. 
One or two bus stops from the city.
 It was built on the rock extending into the sea on Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian Joseph of Habsburg’s orders.



According to the legend, the Archduke was once overtaken by a storm at sea and found a shelter in the small bay of Grignano. 

He was enchanted by the place to the point that he decided to build his home right there. He lived there with his wife, Charlotte of Belgium.

Today, it is a very popular wedding spot.




I really love Italy.
I could go there every few days and still would want to come over again.

These different regions of Italy differ so much, and yet they complement eachother.

Hopefully this year  I visit the south.
I wished for it for so many years and had so many excuses.

Be careful what you wish for they say...

A postcard from Trieste.






 .............


No comments: