Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Hurghada. Magawish. Mahmya. Enough said.




Hurghada.
Restaurants, shops and hotels.



And lots of christmas lights.




My hotel in Hurghada was very simple.
Sun&Sea ***
Serbians and some Russians as guests.
Walking distance to the centre.



After becoming friends with the reception personnel, I managed to get a room with a sea view.


Drinking coffee on the balcony in the morning.
Swimming in the pool late afternoon.
All that I needed was there.


Except the beach.
This hotel has a REALLY tiny beach.
The good side of this beach is that it is set by the coral reef.
Amazing creatures can be seen there, especially early in the morning. 
Downside is - it is REALLY tiny.
I like big, wide beaches.
But vicinity to the centre means you are 10km away from the nice beach.
Divers I met at our hotel suggested Magawish as the best beach in Hurghada.

You actually have to pay to get in.
But my new friend, the diver, said 'Tell them at the entrance that you are kitesurfing. They will let you in.'
I found a baseball cap, bermuda shorts, small back pack, took a cab and went there.
As a 'kitesurfer'.
Did not even know what it means.
Magawish.
I went there almost every day during my stay in Hurghada.
A place where I discovered my hots for kite surfing.


Beautiful long, wide beach.
It is empty in October.






  Apparently, October is perfect for kitesurfing.



I keep this sport on my bucket list still.
It is easy to learn, and is quite fun actually.
I am still doubting weather to go to Ulcinj, Montenegro or Brac, Croatia for lessons.
And yes, the time is flying.
Well, I will decide by the age of 70 I guess.

Red Sea is famous for its great biodiversity, warm salty water and this specific color that is everything BUT red.
My group booked a little trip to Mahmya, Giftun island.
And that little trip turned out to be my closest encounter with a place I consider Caribbean look a like.

Local agencies take you there by a nice boat.



You can see local fishermen on a way.



Unfortunately, the reefs are quite damaged here so you have to focus really well into the water to see any moving creature.
But the scenery is just breathtaking.



Approaching the island.











Just look at these colors!!!!


The only downside is the extra warm sand.
You can burn your feet how warm it is.
But you can rent one of these sunshades at the beach, and there is a beach bar.


My little almost tropical island.
*Without the greenery.


I always laugh when I see this video.
I was never a gracious person when it comes to running.
Like in slow motion.
I probably thought I look like a mermaid back then.
I still can not believe this was 9 years ago...


We did some diving on the way.
Well snorkeling it was actually.
Tomato-tomato, potato-potato.
It's the same.
:)
As you can see, I had the best gear.


I even bought a waterproof camera, one that has actual film roll in it (!).


Was among the first to jump in the water.
We were over a small coral reef. I found a big blue fish and was so focused on it that I shot the entire film roll.
All of the sudden I heard people shouting 'barracuda!'.
Say WHAT?!?
I thought they were joking but realized they weren't when guides started calling all the people back on board.
It turned out if you throw food in the water creatures like this show up.
And several guides did it to attract more fish from the reef to the surface.
Crazy.

I did not manage to snap some nice shots of the Red Sea fauna, but do enjoy these given to me by one of the divers at the hotel.
Red Sea life.




And this dolphin is probably laughing at my snorkeling and running skills.


Cute, isn't he?
But what he does not know is that I have been mastering these skills.


Hehe.
Who is laughing now?

.............




No comments: