Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Bedouines. Dunes, rocks and sunset in Sahara.




First thing that comes up in my mind (even today) when someone mentions Bedouins is Oded Fehr.
Sometimes you do not even have to say Bedouin :).


I just loved him in The Mummy.


Dark handsome man, riding a horse.
Hunting with a hawk.

Well, the truth is that this image is TOTALLY opposite of the actual Bedouins.

When I was visiting Egypt, we booked a bedouin tour with one of the local agencies.
These local agencies are great - very cheap you get to see different amazing sites and their guides do all these silly things to make that journey special.
Like throwing meat in the Red Sea to attract barracudas for photo shoot (that is another story).

These guys we were with picked us up in big SUVs, they even had cameras and recorded a video for purchase.


Our goal was to visit one of the local bedouin settlements in the desert.
On our way there we were racing trough the desert.
Drivers ask you if you want to race - the entire group was up for it.


I still remember the girl next to me.
She was screaming like mad.
Funny character she was.
From Montenegro.
She bought so many items in snake's leather.


Sahara here is very flat actually.
Solid ground.
You can drive as fast as you want to.
If you know where the rocks are hidden.
I was kind of disappointed to hear that this part of Sahara is all mountains, no dunes.
But since egyptians are so hospitable and they won't let you go home disappointed - they drove us to the only dune in the area.




I took of my shoes (of course) and dived into the sand.
So warm.
And no scorpions.


 We were acting like kids do in the shallow water.


Sand was everywhere.
Even in the underwear.


So beautiful.
This dune was the first highlight of that day.
This one is my favorite photo.


Sun, the mountain and the dune.
You can actually see how this sand sparkles.

We drove towards the Bedouin settlement.
Nomads.



I managed to make a friend there.


The agency has it all covered.
Bottled water, some tea and snacks.
Shade over your had.


You get a few minutes break and then you are free to go look around and watch the ordinary everyday life in this village.

They show you the water well.
*Notice how tiny they are.


Some crops.


Burning fuel  (camel poop actually).


Local pets.





Local bakery.



Then they offer you their camels for a nice ride trough the desert.





After the fiasco by the pyramids in Giza, I mastered the camel riding.



I loved the kids at this village.




Screaming and shouting over a pack of candies.
Kids are kids wherever you go.

Apparently, sun setting in Sahara is a must see.
Notice how I am the last in the group here (God forbid I miss something, even in desert).


But the first one to grab a nice place to sit and watch the sunset.


Sun setting in Sahara.
Second highlight of that day.




After the Sun has set, the agency invites you to join a little desert party.
Shik Shak Shok.
Enjoy.
I do.


I just love the drums.
Can never sit still when something like this is on.

Pipes, torches and belly dancers.
Party time.







No sound on this video we took I am afraid.
But it looks like I did have a nice time.
*I appear at the end of the video. Am the one with the prettiest smile :).


 These are my favorite photos of that one day I spent in the desert.







 And Oded Fehr  was nowhere to be found :).

...................



No comments: